COVID-19 Lockdown Projects
Current COVID-19 Lockdown Projects
- Coffee mornings. Held Tuesdays 10:30am via Skype. We are also combining some of these sessions with online yoga!
- Young people’s sessions for those age 3+. Thursdays 12 – 2pm via Skype.
- Online Salsa sessions! Every Tuesday at 2pm via Skype.
For more information please contact us or email:
International Student Outreach
In the second week of March 2020, the international students studying in the universities in Wales were shocked to hear COVID-19 declared as a as a pandemic and universities were closed down. After the lockdown, it was hard for them to confine at home, do their courses online, not knowing when the universities will reopen.
Many of the affected international students are no longer able to support themselves through part time employment. Many Do not have their own laptop. Hardest of all, those affected don’t know how or when they will be able to get flights home.
TMR was approached for help and support. A WhatsApp group has been established to discuss any issues those affected may have. Meetings are also being advertised in this group, where members can participate via Zoom.
Please contact volunteer@MentorRing.org.uk if you wish to attend these meetings. We are aiming to hold meetings every Tuesday At 8pm. Meetings so far have focused on topics such as:
- Community safety issues and employment during the pandemic
- University fee Reduction.
- Deferring the course.
- Flights back to India.
- Health and well-being issues
- Food groceries distribution
Many 1 to 1 phone calls and messages are also continuing with regards legal support, rent, finances etc. TMR is also being asked for help with landlord issues. We are now in touch with Councillor Lynda Thorne, Cabinet Member for Housing and Communities. TMR are now also working in collaboration with the HCI (High Commission of India) UK, to help students return to India.