Volunteering Roles - Interpreter
Volunteer Interpreter Role
Purpose of the role:
The Mentor Ring is a socially inclusive charitable organisation built on the principles of respect for human rights, diversity within our society and the promotion of equality for all. With the help of our mentors, our mission is to offer advice, guidance, and support to socially and economically disadvantaged people through individual and group mentoring. We aim to provide a service that caters for the whole person by raising standards, confidence, and self-esteem – thus creating opportunities and choices that will help individuals and their communities to realise their full potential. We organise events to educate and bring the community together. The purpose of this role is to assist in helping members of the community to communicate with others.
What you will be doing:
- You could be helping members of your community who do not speak English to communicate with others in their neighbourhood.
- You could be helping non-English speakers deal with essential situations where they need to speak to official people, such as doctors or solicitors.
- You could help a non-English speaker learn how to speak English by encouraging them to take classes and helping them with basic phrases.
- Good communication skills.
- Good people skills.
- Experience of working with ethnic minority communities would be an
- The ability to be flexible with time.
- Knowledge of at least one of the following languages in addition to
English: Arabic, Farsi, Kurdish, Mandarin, Pashtu, Punjabi, Turkish, Urdu
- DBS Check
Time and Place:
- Monday – Sunday (Flexible).
- 1 – 5 hours per week.
- Office / At a pre-arranged place (e.g. Meet individual at doctor’s surgery).
How we will support you:
- Volunteers are given an induction upon beginning their role.
- Training is given for this role.
- Expenses are fully reimbursed on a monthly basis.
What’s in it for you:
This is an ideal opportunity to meet new people and mix with your peers. Volunteering can be very rewarding, and this role could help you to decide what career path you would like to take. You will also gain valuable experience along the way, which can be added to your C.V.
On this Remembrance Day, 11th November we honour the brave men and women who sacrificed their lives to protect our freedom and peace. Their courage and selflessness will never be forgotten. Let us come together to pay tribute to their legacy, reflecting on the...
Yesterday,took a moment to acknowledge the impact of stress on our lives and those around us. Remember, it's okay not to be okay. Let's support one another, lend a listening ear, and practice self-compassion. Together, we can create a nurturing environment where...
May the festival of lights fill your life with joy, prosperity, and endless blessings. On this auspicious occasion, let’s illuminate our hearts with love and kindness, and spread the warmth of happiness to all around us. Happy Diwali to you and your loved ones! 🪔✨...